Visit this page weekly for a practice test question. If you want additional testing practice, the following books are available:
- Illustrated Study Guide for the NCLEX-PN® Exam, 7th Ed.
- Illustrated Study Guide for the NCLEX-RN® Exam, 9th Ed.
Question 9: A nurse experiences a needle stick from an IM injection that was just administered to a client who is positive for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). What would be the best nursing action?
- Report the needle stick to the local public health department and inform any sexual contacts.
- Notify the employee health center and report the circumstances regarding the needle stick.
- Contact the personal physician to determine the risk factor for seroconversion and medications to prevent seroconversion.
- Notify the unit manager and ask for advice regarding to whom, if anyone, you should report the incident.
Click here to view/hide the answer: